Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ear OS: I'm liking this flavor of Linux:

Linux.com :: New media center OS is pleasing to the eye and ear
This was the first distro / remaster I've tested in a vm and ran jack
with no xruns at 46ms latency (all default settings). That was enough
to keep my interest to play more. I've since put it on a test machine
with a Delta 1010lt which it found and configured with no problem. I
suspect this could make a good daw os without much fussing.

If I had a faster machine (AMD +2000) I could be styling running Reaper
under wineasio (installed just fine). I get no xruns, but the Reaper
process climbs over 60% CPU utilization and starts to stutter even with
the simdock closed. I would imagine Ardour users would have much better
luck on my hardware.

earos - Share on Ovi


Acoustic Reality is a Danish company that sells speakers, amplifiers, storage devices, cables, and other products to build top-shelf home entertainment centers. It recently released eAR OS Free Edition, a free media center system built on top of Ubuntu that features a free version of the Acoustic Reality software technology used in the $100 eAR RT-OS Enterprise Edition and in the company's hardware Media 4 products. It provides a user-friendly media center along with a nice implementation of Ubuntu.

No comments: